Title

Title

Friday, February 27, 2015

Review: CCGCrate's Dead Crate

Today in The Cube:


The contents of this month's Dead Crate from CCGcrate.com

As my subscription box obsession continues, I've decided to try a brand-new "game crate", this time from Derium's CCGs ccgcrate.com – which specializes in various monthly card game subscription boxes (notably two very reasonably priced Magic the Gathering boxes).

This time around, I've tried out their so-called "Dead Crate," which delivers dead (read: discontinued) CCGs to your door each month for the cost of $14.99. These CCGs will run the gamut of games throughout the age of CCGs, which began in the mid-1990s.

This crate, which ships on the 24th of each month, as stated on the website, will contain one of the following:

• Starter decks for 2 or more players of a game, and booster packs of the same game.
• Multiple pairs of starter decks of different games.
• Booster boxes.

This month's Dead Crate (which, I believe, is the first for the company) contained: A 2-player starter set of DuelMasters from Wizards of the Coast, and 2 starter sets from WizKids' High Stakes Drifter Betting and Bluffing Card Game. I can honestly say I've never heard of either of these games, which is part of the fun. You're never going to be sure what you'll get in this box, and I love the randomness of it.

I have to say that, so far, I'm impressed. While a critic might say that this is a good way for a store to get rid of excess inventory, I find the whole idea fun. I've clearly gotten my money's worth on this crate, and the High Stakes Drifter starters actually accommodate two players apiece. The shipping was prompt (I received this crate within two days – though, full disclosure, I live about 2.5 hours from the shop), and I was notified of the shipping and my payment via email.

Further I have to compliment the folks at ccgcrate.com for their efforts at working with the community. The website has good videos discussing their products, while their Facebook does a nice job of keeping folks updated. When the Dead Crates were all boxed up and ready to ship, they posted a photo; later, for more transparency, they even listed how many crates were sold, how much they earned and how much profit they realized. If more subscription box companies did this, the industry would be a better place.

So, if you're down to check out some weird and wild CCGs that you'd maybe never played before – at a reasonable price, with great customer service, give Dead Crate a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment