Title

Title

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

"Typhus" Mary: Nurgle Fever Spreading

Today in The Cube:


My work-in-progress Warhammer 40K Typhus miniature. I've caught Nurgle Fever. Expect more as I continue work on this mini.

I'm enjoying the life of a hobbyist-minis painter quite a bit. I've come back to the hobby after about 15 years away, and quite frankly I'm glad I did. It's a relaxing hobby, allows for a fun and unique creative outlet, and there's a large & vibrant community of like-minded folks to show your work and discuss techniques.

I paint miniatures from a wide variety of games and companies – I suppose you'd call me "system agnostic" – but I'm quite taken with some aspects of the Warhammer 40K universe, specifically with that segment of the Chaos Space Marines (think traitorous warriors battling against a decaying galactic Roman Empire) loyal to Nurgle, the Chaos god of rot, filth, disease and entropy.

And I'm not alone – there are a lot of Warhammer and 40K players (and painters) interested in this sect. First and foremost, Nurgle represents something interesting and dark in the game – they're essentially bestial, festering, pustule-filled zombies in space, infested and infected with a myriad of ailments. But, unlike zombies, they're cognizant, ferocious – like any other Space Marine, but dedicated to the horrible physical decay of all things, and prepared to conclude their crusade with the sword.

Second, as if that weren't enough, the models are fascinatingly detailed – with everything from open wounds and sores to spilled bellies full of guts. Plague Marines, Demon Princes of Nurgle, Nurgle Dones, and others are fascinating, sickly, disgusting and epic by turns. They make a real impact either on the battlefield or simply sitting on your painting station.

Third (and perhaps most importantly), they offer modelers an amazing creative opportunity. Using some Green Stuff, plasticard, a few other supplies and a little know-how, I've seen modelers and mini-painters do amazing modifications and customizations of miniatures (even going so far as to essentially create their own minis) to create that distinctive Nurgle look of boils, pustules, rotting and disintegrating armor, putrescent flesh, and other effects. Stuff so realistic that it will almost turn your stomach.

So, I've caught the Nurgle bug. I'm currently in the process of making my own Nurgle Death Guard army (largely for fun, but it may see play on a gaming table at some point). As you can see above, I've even been working on a model of Typhus, one of the heavy-hitters amongst the devotees of Grandfather Nurgle.

I'll keep you posted as I move things along.

No comments:

Post a Comment